Care, After School, & Camps
UNIS offers a variety of extra curricular after school activities and care programs
The UNIS Extra Curricular After School Activities Program is designed to give students an opportunity to explore areas of particular interest to them and their families. Programs are offered by UNIS and UNIS partner organizations to Tut House, Middle School, and Junior School students on both our Manhattan and Queens campuses.
The UNIS After School Care Program, designed to meet the needs of working parents, provides a dependable daily service in a warm and caring environment, for Junior School and Middle School students.
- Spring Break Programs
- Care Programs
- After School Programs
- UNIS Partner After School Programs
- Private Music Lesson Programs
- Summer Programs
UNIS offers several options. In addition to the regular "Spring Break Program" for (PK through J2), UNIS offers a series of special fun and educational workshops: - "Leadership" - "Writopia" - "Future CEO / Entrepreneurs" - "RockStar"
Please note that since the cafeteria will be closed during Spring Break, so students are required to bring their own lunches, snacks and drinks.
Care program is offered every day from 3:00PM to 6:00PM on the Manhattan Campus.
The Middle School Care Club runs every school day from 3:00 to 6:00PM on the Manhattan Campus.
Students are supervised by teachers who help with their homework and provide guidance on organization of materials and time management. Students will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of activities including board games, group games, arts & crafts, films and other special events.
- After School: Junior School
- After School: Middle School
- After School: Tutorial House
- After School: Queens
The Manhattan Campus After School Program offers an array of activities, ranging from Leadership Workshops, Public Speaking, Creative Film-making, Young Mathematicians, Dollars & Senses (Healthy Financial Habits), Robotics, Science, Engineering, Tinkering, Minecraft as well as Inventors club, Writopia, Chess club, Clay Design, Cooking, Play Adventure and more...
- JS After School Information Package
- JS Schedule of After School Activities
- Calendar of Activities
- Protocol & Frequently asked questions
- Mother Tongue Program
The Manhattan Campus After School Program offers an array of activities, ranging from Leadership Workshops, Debate & Public Speaking, Mock Trial, Socratic Seminar/Civic Discourse, Stock Market club, Entrepreneurship, DJ & Music Production, Clay Design, Minecraft, Tinkers Projects, as well as Engineering, Creative Film making, Inventors club, Writopia, Chess club and more...
- MS After School Prog Information Package
- After School Schedule
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Mother Tongue Program
- After School Calendar
Tutorial House students have the opportunity to register in Driver Education course.
ELIGIBILITY FOR REGISTRATION: Students AGE 16 by February 1st
The Driver Education at UNIS conforms to New York State regulations.
- 24-hour classroom phase of the course
- 6 hours of driving instruction behind the wheel
- 18 hours of in car observation
- Students must attend and pass all sessions of both parts of the course to receive the MV-285.
- The Department of Motor Vehicles issues Learner’s Permits. DMV requires proper identification, SOCIAL SECURITY CARD, paying a fee and passing both a written and eye test. The Driver’s Manual and MV43.1 give the specific requirements. State Law (Sec. 507-1 V&TL) allows persons under 18 to drive in NYC only under the supervision of a licensed Driver Education teacher or if they have a Class D NYS license.
- LEARNER’S PERMITS – Requirement as of August 2015: All students must secure a DMV Client ID number in order to receive an MV-285 Certificate of Completion. They can secure a DMV client ID number by having a NYS Learner's Permit, and/or a NYS Non-Driver ID card.
A number of After School Activities are offered at the Queens Campus. There are two sessions each year, one in each semester. Each session extends through 10 weekly meetings at a cost of approximately $100 for each activity. The activities include gymnastics, chess, art and crafts, soccer and Arabic. More detailed information is distributed before the start of each session.
UNIS Chess Team
Made possible by Coach Tal, UNIS is excited to announce the second year of the official Chess Team for J1 through M4 students. The team will compete together representing UNIS at chess events, including city, state, and national tournaments. Class and practice will take place Wednesday afternoons from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Manhattan campus.
Classes will cost $60 each and the price includes coaching, supervised play, game analysis at in-state tournaments, events, and a www.chesskid.com gold membership.
For more information and to register please visit www.coachtalchess.com/unis-chess/
Dutch Language Classes
't Klokhuis is offering a Dutch Language classes at UNIS for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade, as well classes for Dutch as a Second Language. For more information visit their website www.klokhuis.com or email the Program Director Loura Zijdel at firstname.lastname@example.org
The United Nations International School Music Department offers private instruction on a wide range of orchestral and band instruments as well as guitar, voice, and piano. UNIS is privileged to have world-class performing artists on our teaching staff who conveniently teach private music lessons to our students right on campus. We encourage UNIS families to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to expand their children’s education and talent.
The private instruction is offered at additional cost to parents and, in the case of the orchestral instruments (all except piano, voice & guitar), is a required co-requisite to the instrumental program in the Middle School and the Tutorial House.
In Queens, students who participate in the private lesson program are expected to perform in two yearly recitals. Students are also encouraged to participate in the ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music) and NYSSMA (New York State Schools’ Music Association) performance exams, held in the spring.
All of the specialist music teachers are hired for their skill as performers and their experience in working with young musicians. They are graduates of schools such as Juilliard, Manhattan School of Music, New York University, Brooklyn College, School for Strings and Teachers' College. Besides being active solo and chamber recitalists, they also perform regularly with groups such as the New York Chamber Ensemble, New Jersey Symphony, Dave Brubeck Orchestra, Brooklyn Philharmonic, American Symphony Orchestra and in current Broadway musicals. For biographies of our music teaching artists see the Private Music Lessons Page.
i2 Camp at UNIS pre-5th through pre-8th grade
REGISTRATION FOR SUMMER WILL OPEN SOON
WHEN YOU TRUST KIDS, THEY TRUST THEMSELVES
Grades K-7th Mentorship Program for 8th and 9th
Kids come into this world brimming with curiosity, wonder and creative potential. Unfortunately, we often squash that potential by telling kids what to do, and what to learn.
At Steve & Kate’s, we believe that when you trust kids, they develop the confidence to trust themselves, and learn to use their own judgment. So we built a summer camp that puts kids in charge. Because unlike traditional schools, summer gives us the freedom to reinvent learning in a way that allows kids to make their own choices – and, of course, a few mistakes along the way.
Driven by this belief, we’ve built our summer camp to put kids in the driver’s seat of a world of possibilities. So whether your child is a natural-born storyteller with a love for animation, or a budding chef, or a hacker-in-training, or a dance machine, they can dive into their passions in a world free from adult judgments and expectations.
This summer we'll be launching our digital camper hub, introducing campers to our brand new Game Room, and making even more possible in the music, film, and fashion studios! After 37 years, we are still obsessed with reinventing summer. Because if we’ve learned one thing, it’s that when you think like a child, anything is possible.
At Steve & Kate’s campers step into a world packed with possibilities to experience new opportunities, express themselves, explore their passions and infinite potential. The results are unexpected and surprisingly rich. You can buy a Membership for the whole summer or stock up on Day Passes and use them when you need them. Oh, and lunch is included. Ta-da! Camp Simplified. Open this Summer June 25 to August 24, 2018 7:30 am 6:00pm
Register at www.steveandkate.com
External Summer Programs
Information about summer program opportunities are provided as a resource for UNIS families and do not, in any way, constitute an endorsement of any program or organization.
- Sports Programs
- Outdoor Adventure
- Language and Study Abroad
- Academic Programs
- College Programs
- American Camping Association (ACA): Listings and advice on many sleep away camps and teen trip programs.
- Quaker Camps (Quaker): International focus. For direct communication with one such camp contact The Farm and Wilderness Camps at (802) 422-3761.
- YMCA (camps): A great variety of camps are available through the YMCA at reasonable prices. In particular check out Camp Mason located near the Delaware River.
- Rena's Promise is a one week intensive writing programserving teens who want to explore their unique gifts as writers in a camp setting with other like-minded teens.
- MySummerCamps (Your Camp Resource Guide): A database to search many categories of camps (ie. sports, adventure, academic, arts, special needs, language, religious etc)
- Village Camps(International): International summer camps in six different countries.
UNIS Athletics continues to work closely with a number of external sporting organizations that add significant value to the athletics program during the school year. Advantage Tennis and SuperMe Performance are two of these providers. In addition, New York Sports Connection is an organization that promotes a directory of over 600 plus organizations offering over 50 sports in NY. This is a great resource to help filter through the many sporting camps and programs available during the year and the summer holidays. Please find the links below:
- Sail Caribbean(Sail): Teen sailing and scuba diving in the Caribbean with an educational focus.
- Teen Treks(Adventure Biking and Hosteling): Very reasonable biking trips with a very reputable U.S. youth organization.
- Outward Bound(Outward-bound): Outdoor leadership and education programs.
- The Student Conservation Association (SCA): Camps and internships focused on protecting vital habitats.
- Earthwatch (earthwatch): Volunteers participate in projects to collect field data to conserve our planet.
- Transitions Abroad (teen volunteer programs): A listing of teen volunteer programs abroad that encourage meaningful travel.
- Habitat for Humanity(habitat): Help build homes for the less advantaged in different locales.
- Globalworks (Travel with a Purpose): International travel and community service programs in many developing countries.
- Visions (Service Adventures): Cross-cultural service learning opportunities.
- Rustic Pathways (pathways): Summer trips abroad with a service component.
- Cross-Cultural Solutions (solutions): International volunteer programs.
- The Road Less Traveled (roads): Outdoor community service programs in the U.S. and other countries.
- Where There Be Dragons (dragons): Outdoor community service and language programs in developing countries.
- International Seminar Series (study/serve): Community service learning program for pre-college students in Paris and Barcelona.
- Global Leadership Adventures (GLA): 10-22 day service trips in Tanzania, Ghana, China, Ecuador, Bali, Thailand, India, Fiji, Peru, Dominican Republic, Guatemala and Costa Rica.
- Usdan Center for the Creative and Performing Arts (Usdan): Variety of summer programs in the arts located in nearby Long Island.
- Buck's Rock Performing and Creative Arts Camp (Buck's Rock): Performing arts camp with a Montessori approach located in the Berkshire Mountains.
- French Woods Performing Arts Camp (frenchwoods): Performing arts camp in the Catskill Mountains.
- Arte al Sole (artesol):Arte al Sole is a summer day camp for international children offering week-long sessions based on the art, culture, and natural science of Italy with locations in Panicale, Umbria; Lucca, Montepulciano, and Florence in Tuscany; Rome; and Puglia.
- American University of Beirut Summer Arabic Program (AUB): Six-week intensive Arabic program.
- China Institute advances a deeper understanding of China through programs in education,culture, business and art in the belief that cross-cultural understanding strengthens our global community. http://www.chinainstitute.org
- 4-6 week summer programs for students aged 15-18. Dragons' Yunnan-based language programs offered. 3-5 hours a day of classroom instruction are complemented by language immersion and home-stays, both in the city of Kunming and rural villages in western Yunnan:www.wheretherebedragons.com
- International Language Camps Megeve & ESL Internationallanguagecamps.com
- ESL Language Schools (ESL): French, German, Italian or English in Switzerland.
- The Barat Foundation
- Centre Méditerranéen d’Etudes Françaises (CMEF)
- Study in Quebec www.learningfrenchinquebec.com
- UCPA - Union des Centres Sportifs de Plein Air (www.ucpa-vacances.com)
- German courses for children/teens http://www.goethe.de/ins/de/enindex.htm
- Canadian Island (canadianisland)
- WWF Italy (wwf)
- www.babilonia.it/ - Taormina-Sicily
- www.scuolaleonardo.com – Florence, Milan, Rome and Siena
- Namiai (namiai) http://www.jfny.org/language/course.html The Japan Foundation. Summer Intensive programs for teens.
- Enforex (Summer Camps in Spain) Summer Spanish language camps in Spain. Locations in: Barcelona,Granada, Madrid,Marbella.
- Summer Camps in Spain: High School program w/ ArchaeoSpain
- SpainBcn-Programs (SpainBcn): Study abroad program for teens in Barcelona, Spain. Includes home-stay visits with Spanish families, intensive Spanish study, cultural excursions and sports.
- Enfo Camp Programs in Spain (Enfo): Summer Spanish immersion camp in Marbella, Albergue, Spain.
- Abbey Road Overseas Programs (abbey road): Language and cultural immersion programs for pre-college students.
- Middlebury Monterey Language Academy: http://mmla.middlebury.edu/ Summer language programs - Beijing China, Granada Spain, Quebec city Canada, Green Mountain Vermont.
- Concordia Language Villages (Concordia): Summer language programs for all languages taught at UNIS. Located in Minnesota, USA.
- The Cooper Union Introduction to Architecture summer program for high school students.
- LeanGap, a summer program which helps high school students start their own companies.
- LIberty Science Center Camp Program (lsc.org/camp) for rising 4th through 7th graders who love science and technology.
- NOVAMAYA: Entrepreneurship & Social Innovation Programs Summer 2015
- Oxbridge Programs (oxbridge): Academic enrichment programs in various European cities.
- Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth(cty):Summer program for academic enrichment at Johns Hopkins University,
- NYU Summer Programs: School of Professional Studies High School Academy
- Peace Boat voyage during the summer months.
- Royal Veterinary College, University of London (RVC) an exciting two week summer school focused on eterinary skills and knowledge.
- American University's Discover the World of Communication
- Boston University New England Center for Investigative Reporting
- Duke University Summer Academy for High School Students
- Imperial College London Imperial Global Summer School July and August
- Israel Institute of Technology - Technion's Summer Program catered to business, technology, entrepreneurship and science minded high school students.
- New York. Paris. London. These are just some of the culturally and artistically diverse urban locations where your talented teens can live and create in The New School's summer study programs in art and design, filmmaking,drama, and beyond.
- Skidmore: students can try college on before taking college on by enrolling in the Skidmore Summer Pre-College Program.
- Trinity College Dublin’s Summer Schools give students the opportunity to experience the excitement of university life in Ireland’s capital
- University of Rochester’s pre-college, academic program offer students a chance to experience college life and explore new careers.
- Yale Young Global Scholarsto educate increasing numbers of international students and to expose students to global issues, international affairs, American government in comparative perspective, and policy leadership.
For further information, please do not hesitate to contact:
Dr. Lidana Jalilvand, Director of Special Programs
United Nations International School
24-50 F.D.R. Drive
New York, NY 10010
Tel: +1-212-584-3083 or 3084
FAX: +1-212- 684-1382