Care, After School & Camps
UNIS offers a variety of extra curricular after-school activities and care programs.
The UNIS Extra Curricular After-School Activities Program is designed to give students an opportunity to explore areas of particular interest to them and their families. Programs are offered by UNIS and UNIS partner organizations to Tut House, Middle School, and Junior School students.
The UNIS After-School Care Program provides a dependable daily service in a warm and caring environment, for JA-J4 and M1-M4 students.
- Care Programs
- After-School Programs
- Private Music Lessons
- UNIS Partner After School Programs
- Spring Break Programs
- Summer Programs
The Care Programs provides to JA-J4 & M1-M2 students a dependable daily service in a warm and caring environment.
The program runs every school day from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM on the Manhattan Campus.
Supervision and guidance is provided to students with homework and quiet time is devoted to work at the beginning of the program.
The UNIS after school program of activities is designed to give students an opportunity to explore areas of particular interest to them and their families. Programs are offered to Tut House, Middle School, and Junior School students.
The Manhattan Campus After-School Program offers an array of activities, ranging from Leadership Workshops, Public Speaking, Mock Trial, Creative Film-making, series of Financial workshops and Entrepreneurship, as well as Writopia, Chess Club, Clay Design, Cooking and more...
- JS After-School Information Package
- JS Schedule of After-School Activities
- Mother Tongue Program
- Letter to Parents
- Registration Information
- Summer Resources
The Manhattan Campus After-School Program offers an array of activities, ranging from Leadership Workshops, Debate & Public Speaking, Mock Trial, Human Rights/Civic Discourse, Series of Financial workshops and Entrepreneurship, Stock Market, Clay Design, Music Production, Writopia, Chess Club and more...
- MS After-School Program Information Package
- After-School Schedule
- Letter to Parents
- Mother Tongue Program
- After-School Calendar
- Registration Information
- Summer Resources
The objective of this program is to prepare students for the myriad situations that require formal and informal presentations.
Students will learn to craft and present arguments and inform, persuade and motivate an audience in a variety of ways.
The grading rubric was adapted with the permission of Neil Mercer, the Director of research and Head of Faculty at The University of Cambridge.
This course includes:
- The Impromptu Speech
- The Informative Speech
- The Persuasive Speech
- Parliamentary Debate
The instructor of this class is Ms. Amanda Sawyer. Her program is focused on social skills, public speaking and presentation, and it was developed in conjunction with The University of Cambridge.
FOR MORE INFORMATION click here
This training is offered to high school students (T1-T4)
In these workshops the students learn about the electoral process, lobby for issues they are passionate about, draft and deliver bills, amend legislation, debate about international policy and learn how to effectively represent a constituent body of their choosing. The materials from The Constitutional Rights Foundation, ICivics (founded by Justice Sandra Day O’Connor) and the National Model U.S. Congress are used in classes. These resources have been proven to improve students’ civic knowledge, presentation and core literacy skills.
New research has also shown that the use of the aforementioned materials has also led to increased participation in the democratic process.
The objective in this course is to educate the next generation, nurture and inculcate a passion for civics and history and encourage young people to advocate for themselves.
The instructor of this class is Ms. Amanda Sawyer, Founder, Director, Dedimus Potestatem. Her program was developed in conjunction with The University of Cambridge.
The focus of the Philosophy class is to examine and understand the ideas behind the most popular philosophies embraced throughout the world. To do this, students examine ethical situations through the lens of these philosophies and engage in a Socratic style debate. Students are presented with an ethical question and they must identify stakeholders and players within the dilemma, discuss the key moral issues and present opposing viewpoints.
The course is taught by Mr. Andy Snyder, Philosophy professor from CUNY associated with Dedimus Potestatem.
Andy Snyder is a former State Champion debater and currently teaches Critical Thinking, Introduction to Philosophy, Ethics and Moral Issues and Philosophy of Religion at the City University of New York.
Andy Snyder was the President of Emory’s debate team, coached at University of Chicago when he was a graduate student there. He has been involved in Urban Debate Leagues in Atlanta, Chicago, and NYC.
The United Nations International School Music Department offers private instruction on a wide range of orchestral and band instruments as well as guitar, voice, and piano. UNIS is privileged to have world-class performing artists on its teaching staff who conveniently teach private music lessons to our students right on campus. We encourage UNIS families to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to expand their children’s education and talent.
The private instruction is offered at additional cost to parents and, in the case of the orchestral instruments (all except piano, voice & guitar), is a required co-requisite to the instrumental program in the Middle School and the Tutorial House.
All of the specialist music teachers are hired for their skill as performers and their experience in working with young musicians. They are graduates of schools such as Juilliard, Manhattan School of Music, New York University, Brooklyn College, School for Strings and Teachers' College. Besides being active solo and chamber recitalists, they also perform regularly with groups such as the New York Chamber Ensemble, New Jersey Symphony, Dave Brubeck Orchestra, Brooklyn Philharmonic, American Symphony Orchestra and in current Broadway musicals. For biographies of our music teaching artists see the Private Music Lessons Page.
UNIS offers a variety of partner after school programs.
UNIS Chess Team
Made possible by Coach Tal, UNIS offers chess to J1 through M4 students. The team will compete together representing UNIS at chess events, including city, state, and national tournaments. Class and practice will take place Wednesday afternoons from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Registration fees include coaching, supervised play, game analysis at in-state tournaments, events, and a www.chesskid.com gold membership.
Dutch Language Classes
't Klokhuis is offering a Dutch Language classes at UNIS for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade, as well classes for Dutch as a Second Language. For more information visit their website www.klokhuis.com or email the Program Director Loura Zijdel at email@example.com
We are please to announce UNIS 2022 Spring Break "In Person Camp”!
The aim of the Spring Break program is to offer a series of activities that the students will enjoy participating in, a series of activities and that will bring the students a new learning experience and a sense of accomplishment at the end of the break.
The program includes: "Leadership" series of workshops that give JA-J4 students the skills they need to succeed in life - The M1-M2 students have the opportunity to participate in " Student Government - Win the White House" developed by iCivics and Justice Sandra Day O'Connor . We also offer a series of Self Defense / Bully Proof workshops. Unlike martial arts, emphasis is placed on the avoidance of conflict and assertive mediation tactics.
To learn more about the programs, please click on the brochures below.
- American Camping Association (ACA): Listings and advice on many sleep away camps and teen trip programs.
- Quaker Camps (Quaker): International focus. For direct communication with one such camp contact The Farm and Wilderness Camps at (802) 422-3761.
- YMCA (camps): A great variety of camps are available through the YMCA at reasonable prices. In particular check out Camp Mason located near the Delaware River.
- Rena's Promise is a one week intensive writing program serving teens who want to explore their unique gifts as writers in a camp setting with other like-minded teens.
- MySummerCamps (Your Camp Resource Guide): A database to search many categories of camps (ie. sports, adventure, academic, arts, special needs, language, religious etc).
- Village Camps (International): International summer camps in six different countries.
- Sail Caribbean (Sail): Teen sailing and scuba diving in the Caribbean with an educational focus.
- Teen Treks (Adventure Biking and Hosteling): Reasonable biking trips with a reputable U.S. youth organization.
- Outward Bound (Outward-bound): Outdoor leadership and education programs.
- The Student Conservation Association (SCA): Camps and internships focused on protecting vital habitats.
- Earthwatch (earthwatch): Volunteers participate in projects to collect field data to conserve our planet.
- Transitions Abroad (teen volunteer programs): A listing of teen volunteer programs abroad that encourage meaningful travel.
- Habitat for Humanity (habitat): Help build homes for the less advantaged in different locales.
- Globalworks (Travel with a Purpose): International travel and community service programs in many developing countries.
- Visions (Service Adventures): Cross-cultural service learning opportunities.
- Rustic Pathways (pathways): Summer trips abroad with a service component.
- Cross-Cultural Solutions (solutions): International volunteer programs.
- The Road Less Traveled (roads): Outdoor community service programs in the U.S. and other countries.
- Where There Be Dragons (dragons): Outdoor community service and language programs in developing countries.
- International Seminar Series (study/serve): Community service learning program for pre-college students in Paris and Barcelona.
- Global Leadership Adventures (GLA): 10-22 day service trips in Tanzania, Ghana, China, Ecuador, Bali, Thailand, India, Fiji, Peru, Dominican Republic, Guatemala and Costa Rica.
- Usdan Center for the Creative and Performing Arts (Usdan): Variety of summer programs in the arts located in nearby Long Island.
- Buck's Rock Performing and Creative Arts Camp (Buck's Rock): Performing arts camp with a Montessori approach located in the Berkshire Mountains.
- French Woods Performing Arts Camp (frenchwoods): Performing arts camp in the Catskill Mountains.
- Arte al Sole (artesol):Arte al Sole is a summer day camp for international children offering week-long sessions based on the art, culture, and natural science of Italy with locations in Panicale, Umbria; Lucca, Montepulciano, and Florence in Tuscany; Rome; and Puglia.
- American University of Beirut Summer Arabic Program (AUB): Six-week intensive Arabic program.
- China Institute advances a deeper understanding of China through programs in education,culture, business and art in the belief that cross-cultural understanding strengthens our global community. http://www.chinainstitute.org
- 4-6 week summer programs for students aged 15-18. Dragons' Yunnan-based language programs offered. 3-5 hours a day of classroom instruction are complemented by language immersion and home-stays, both in the city of Kunming and rural villages in western Yunnan:www.wheretherebedragons.com
- International Language Camps Megeve & ESL Internationallanguagecamps.com
- ESL Language Schools (ESL): French, German, Italian or English in Switzerland.
- The Barat Foundation
- Centre Méditerranéen d’Etudes Françaises (CMEF)
- Study in Quebec www.learningfrenchinquebec.com
- UCPA - Union des Centres Sportifs de Plein Air (www.ucpa-vacances.com)
- German courses for children/teens http://www.goethe.de/ins/de/enindex.htm
- Canadian Island (canadianisland)
- WWF Italy (wwf)
- www.babilonia.it/ - Taormina-Sicily
- www.scuolaleonardo.com – Florence, Milan, Rome and Siena
- Namiai (namiai) http://www.jfny.org/language/course.html The Japan Foundation. Summer Intensive programs for teens.
- Enforex (Summer Camps in Spain) Summer Spanish language camps in Spain. Locations in: Barcelona,Granada, Madrid,Marbella.
- Summer Camps in Spain: High School program w/ ArchaeoSpain
- SpainBcn-Programs (SpainBcn): Study abroad program for teens in Barcelona, Spain. Includes home-stay visits with Spanish families, intensive Spanish study, cultural excursions and sports.
- Enfo Camp Programs in Spain (Enfo): Summer Spanish immersion camp in Marbella, Albergue, Spain.
Multiple Locations / Languages
- Abbey Road Overseas Programs (abbey road): Language and cultural immersion programs for pre-college students.
- Middlebury Monterey Language Academy: http://mmla.middlebury.edu/ Summer language programs - Beijing China, Granada Spain, Quebec city Canada, Green Mountain Vermont.
- Concordia Language Villages (Concordia): Summer language programs for all languages taught at UNIS. Located in Minnesota, USA.
- The Cooper Union Introduction to Architecture summer program for high school students.
- LeanGap, a summer program which helps high school students start their own companies.
- LIberty Science Center Camp Program (lsc.org/camp) for rising 4th through 7th graders who love science and technology.
- NOVAMAYA: Entrepreneurship & Social Innovation Programs Summer 2015
- Oxbridge Programs (oxbridge): Academic enrichment programs in various European cities.
- Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth(cty):Summer program for academic enrichment at Johns Hopkins University,
- NYU Summer Programs: School of Professional Studies High School Academy
- Peace Boat voyage during the summer months.
- Royal Veterinary College, University of London (RVC) an exciting two week summer school focused on eterinary skills and knowledge.
- American University's Discover the World of Communication
- Boston University New England Center for Investigative Reporting
- Duke University Summer Academy for High School Students
- Imperial College London Imperial Global Summer School July and August
- Israel Institute of Technology - Technion's Summer Program catered to business, technology, entrepreneurship and science minded high school students.
- New York. Paris. London. These are just some of the culturally and artistically diverse urban locations where your talented teens can live and create in The New School's summer study programs in art and design, filmmaking,drama, and beyond.
- Skidmore: students can try college on before taking college on by enrolling in the Skidmore Summer Pre-College Program.
- Trinity College Dublin’s Summer Schools give students the opportunity to experience the excitement of university life in Ireland’s capital
- University of Rochester’s pre-college, academic program offer students a chance to experience college life and explore new careers.
- Yale Young Global Scholarsto educate increasing numbers of international students and to expose students to global issues, international affairs, American government in comparative perspective, and policy leadership.
WHEN YOU TRUST KIDS, THEY TRUST THEMSELVES
Grades K-7th Mentorship Program for 8th and 9th
Kids come into this world brimming with curiosity, wonder and creative potential. Unfortunately, we often squash that potential by telling kids what to do, and what to learn.
At Steve & Kate’s, we believe that when you trust kids, they develop the confidence to trust themselves, and learn to use their own judgment. So we built a summer camp that puts kids in charge. Because unlike traditional schools, summer gives us the freedom to reinvent learning in a way that allows kids to make their own choices – and, of course, a few mistakes along the way.
Driven by this belief, we’ve built our summer camp to put kids in the driver’s seat of a world of possibilities. So whether your child is a natural-born storyteller with a love for animation, or a budding chef, or a hacker-in-training, or a dance machine, they can dive into their passions in a world free from adult judgments and expectations.
This summer we'll be launching our digital camper hub, introducing campers to our brand new Game Room, and making even more possible in the music, film, and fashion studios! After 37 years, we are still obsessed with reinventing summer. Because if we’ve learned one thing, it’s that when you think like a child, anything is possible.
At Steve & Kate’s campers step into a world packed with possibilities to experience new opportunities, express themselves, explore their passions and infinite potential. The results are unexpected and surprisingly rich. You can buy a Membership for the whole summer or stock up on Day Passes and use them when you need them. Oh, and lunch is included. Ta-da! Camp Simplified.
Register at www.steveandkate.com
External Summer Programs
Information about summer program opportunities are provided as a resource for UNIS families and do not, in any way, constitute an endorsement of any program or organization.